Tuesday, June 5

June 1, 2007

I GOT IN!

After checking the mail half a dozen times in 15 minutes, I decided that the mail wouldn't come during my at-home-lunch-break, and decided to go back to work and have someone ferry my acceptance letter over to me when it came. An hour later, BAM, my phone rings.

It was a call from Home.

I answered, "Did the mail come?"

"A big envelope adressed to you," Mom slyly replied.

I squealed. "Oooooooh! Can someone bring it over?"

Matt and Heather kindly became post couriers, drove over to work, smiled, and handed me a BANK OF AMERICA envelope. Hmm. A large envelope, adressed to me. (Most amusing.) I thwacked Heather with it. (Lightly.) Then she handed me a large white envelope, wrapped with a bow. --she tied a ribbon to it! Isn't she sweet? I'm glad I thwacked her lightly. Thwack. What a good word... defintely an onomatopoeia. Such a nice zing to it.

As I was expecting the envelope, one could hardly say it had the same impact as a muggle-born reading "you have been accepted to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry," ( a total bolt out of the blue,) but it still knocked my socks off.

Congratulations! You have been assigned a position in the Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies program Fall Semester 2007. ...

I think I've read the information packet four times now. I also copied each form so that I could practice filling them out once before submitting the final product. That way the ones I hand in will look almost perfect. Have to make a good impression for my interview, don't I? ;)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE the way your write, Rach! It's so captivating!

Geri said...

Hey! I'm an ANES major at BYU. You're so lucky to have the chance to attend the Center. I'm an older mom student, married with teenagers--no chance for me to attend the Center until I graduate, go off the graduate school and become a professor there some day. My friend, also an ANES major, will be attending the Center this fall. I'm sending him this link. You two should become friends so that you each have a friend when you get there! His name is Caleb and he is awesome. Enjoy! I wish I could rig you all with little head-cams so I could have the experience you'll be having this fall. Instead I'll be taking all the classes you'll be missing. Have a great day!

Tianna said...

A) I didn't know you read my blog. How did you find it? :) B) Nice use of Harry Potter. We should be friends. :)