Tuesday, May 6

Syrian Hijab

OPEN THIS IMAGE IN A NEW WINDOW TO VIEW FULL SIZE. PLEASE.
"Adventures in Syria" is blog much like mine--a mormon lady recording her experiences abroad. (http://bridgetpalmer.blogspot.com) Bridget Palmer, the author, is featured here with some of her Syrian friends--yes, she's the blue eyed one. Anyway. She posted this picture on her blog and I recognized all of them but four from Palestinian/Jordanian women (I don't think I saw any native Egyptian women while I was there, now that I think of it). So while the caricatures are "Syrian" in nature, I saw these too, and it's the best way I can think to show you. The rest of the pictures are all of Palestinian women.

"Manto Sport" was by FAR the most common. Believe it or not, "Hijab sexy" was everywhere too. Kind of took you by surprise, especially the first three times you'd see it. Note the knee-high boots as well. I'd bet every Israeli and Palestinian 20 year old girl has a pair of those boots. I was tempted by a couple pair, actually.

What is Hijab? To quote Wikipedia:
Hijab or ħijāb (حجاب) is the Arabic term for "cover" (noun), based on the root حجب meaning "to veil, to cover (verb), to screen, to shelter." In some Arabic-speaking countries and Western countries, the word hijab primarily refers to women's head and body covering, but in Islamic scholarship, hijab is given the wider meaning of modesty, privacy, and morality.

And no, I don't know how to pronounce "hijab." Any help on that would be great. Isome things I learned: head coverings needent be black or drab--I saw many sparkly-pink head scarves, robin-egg blue, and other bright colors. Also, beauty and modesty are linked. REALLY. I had several discussions with Jerusalem Center friends about how ALL of us noticed and believed that the more modest the clothing, the prettier the girl. Women wearing head scarves were often breathtaking--I'd catch myself doing double-takes. The difference was apparent: if you want to make yourself prettier, alter your modesty. The changes will alter your soul and shine in your countenance. Americans could learn a thing or two from these beauties. I know I did.




Note #1: "Puppeteer" in the bottom corner is the artist.
Note #2: "Does My Head Look..." is a book about a Palestinian-Australian girl who chooses to wear traditional garb to school.

No comments: