Wednesday, February 6

New Music


Ha! That title is a pun--it's a song from my second favorite musical, "Ragtime."

Anyway. I'm announcing the edition of music to my blog. Ta da! I would have done it ages ago, but I didn't know how to do it. My sister Melissa graciously taught me how. It's not music that matches the posts-- its just music that I love. Enjoy (if you dare to listen to my tastes.)

The tracks that should be visible are "All the Wasted Time," from the musical Parade (that I've recently discovered due to a recommendation from a deeply trusted friend,) "My Romance," by Wynton Marsalis, "Arabian Nights" from Aladdin, Rockapella's "Carmen Sandiego," "Sleep," an Eric Whitacre choral piece, and the last song is mis-labeled--it should read "Stars and the Moon" from the hit musical "Songs for a New World" that incidentally is written by the same man who wrote Parade. You've gotta love that guy-- Jason Robert Brown is a genius for unconventional (but captivating) harmonies and syncopation. The piano is intoxicating! A friend of mine can play it and I practically drool all over him when he does-- he's amazing.

If you have the time, please listen to the selections from the musicals--they may be long, but they're excellent. And forgive the woman singing for Lucille Frank in "All the Wasted Time." I don't like her voice either, but her placement is clean. And Stars and the Moon is guaranteed to move you. It's a classic choice from dozens of Musical Theater buffs like myself. I'm so glad that I have an outlet to share this good stuff with you! Sadly, the best Musical Theater stuff cannot be found for public sharing... like the song "How Can I Call This Home" from Parade. That song would actually apply to my blog. ; )

And I do so STRONGLY apologize if the wrong playlist like it did for me and you get stuck with a bunch of songs that scream and swear at you-- that happened to me once and it took me half an hour to recuperate from the shock. I don't listen to that filth, so please forgive me if that erroneously happens here.

Oh yeah! The sample picture is of my friend Emma Hanks at the "Bell Caves" in Israel. I picked the picture for this post because the acoustics in the caves were fabulous--we sang hymns for a good long while inside, and the reverbs were overlapping. It was a cacophony. Later I ended up whistling the Andy Griffith's theme... and smiled to myself.

No comments: