Monday, January 28

I Feel Pretty




















The thing about being a tourist is that certain souvenirs appeal to you, when of course they appeal to other tourists too. (Say that ten times fast-- tourists too-tourists too-tourists too.....blech!) Take these Egyptian soccer jerseys for example; out of the eighty JCenter students, I'd say at least nine of us bought one. And every time you'd wear yours, someone else would too. This field trip--to West Jerusalem's Mt. Hertzl, in honor of Theodore Hertzl--four of us did. Quite common. From left to right: Daniel Murdock (our Canadian boy,) Kendra Crandall, Rachel EM... uh... me, and Craig Estep. (I'm making a hideous face in this picture, but it proves my jersey point. Plus, my hat and sunglasses prove how bright it was that day. OR it just proves that I'm extrememly photo-sensitive. Either one.)

Some of the jerseys would say "Egyptian," but others would say "Egyption." Mine is the latter, and I would always joke that mine was more exotic because it was made by poor Egypt-shawn people.



















The same thing follows for these red shirts-- if you think it's cool, other cool people will too. If they have taste, that is. This next photo is, as I'm sure you cn guess, a Coca-Cola label. And, contrary to prior belief, it is NOT arabic. It is hebrew script. I say script, because they use different characters to write (script) than they do to read (block letters). I think that's nutter though, because then you have to learn TWO alphabets--but whatever. This picture was taken at Ein Gev, a lovely place in Israel with a fresh water spring, stream, and waterfall--and those are rare in that country. From left to right: Ryan Haynie, Kayla Partridge, Tiffany Dunn, Rebecca Price, and half of Rebecca Redd's head. And a note-- I realize that none of them are looking into the camera. I snapped this picture when they were posing for someone else. I learned that taking random pictures of people instead of making them pose usually paid off.

3 comments:

J Short said...

I love it when foreign shirts or hats or whatever misspell American words. I studied abroad in Italy a couple years ago and one night I met this Albanian guy at a bar wearing a Philadelphia Eagle's jersey. The back was spelt correctly, but the front was spelt "Philadelfia" which I thought was amazingly funny. Also, one time at a market, I saw a pair of tight sweat pants that said "I Hott" on the butt and I thought that was perfect. I just got this idea in my head of "You Jane. Me Tarzan. I Hott."

Rachel EM said...

Oh, I know! I especially love it when you know that they have no idea what they're wearing, but they think its cool anyway because it's in English. I saw a teenage boy in Jerusalem wearing an red shirt that said "PRINCESS" across the front in all caps--and I'm sure he'll be mortified if he ever finds out what it says--because there is no way he knew at the time.

Unknown said...

I think you mean Ein Gedi, not Ein Gev.