Monday, July 9

America, My Home!


Independence day has come and gone. Fireworks, Parade, BBQ, Family--the typical Mildenstein hullabaloo... minus two siblings and their families : (. I bought A More Perfect Union, a movie that's one of my favorite parts of the 4th festivities. It was great fitting seven people and a dog into our small TV room--I really enjoyed it. Even when the room started to reach boiling point *curse swamp coolers!*

But this fourth of July reminded me that I am leaving these fair shores and mountain-valleys. I am leaving! I am leaving. The words of the song "Anthem," from Chess.

"And you wonder will I leave her -- but how?
How can I leave her?
Where would I start?...
I cross over borders but I'm still there now...
My land's only borders lie around my heart."

I shudder to think that as a Patriot, I could make my home a land where a wave of our starry flag could get you shot. But I will never truly leave my dearest, fair, America. I will walk among the roads of prophets, to the birthplace of the Christ, to the Holy City--and I shall be as Moses; a stranger in a strange land. Yet I wonder if, upon returning home, I shall feel a stranger here. But I do know, that when our returning flight lands and I see the words "USA," and see bright stars and the brazen red-on white stripes "gallantly streaming," my eyes shall fill with tears--and I'll feel to kiss the ground as the pilgrims did.

Although--- I think I'll wait until I hit the ground outside my house. Airport carpets cannot be sanitary.


No comments: