Monday, July 30

Ode to Joy

Hip Hip Hooray, Huzzah, Huzzay!
I have enough cash to pay the piper today--
With the help of a loan, and a grant, and a favor
Full Jerusalem payment comes today and not later.
So hooray for hard work, tithing, and patience,
Persistence and providence letting me travel the distance.

Oh, I almost can't believe it. All my needs and wishes have been provided for. The incredible sum total payment for the Jerusalem semester abroad-- over eight thousand dollars-- I've been able to collect five days before the deadline. It's surreal. Just goes to show I guess that with tithing and fasting even the insurmountable mountains will melt into molehills. A doctor friend of my dad's is going to sign the medical form that proves I'm healthy enough to exercise (Israeli law is weird--they won't let you touch exercise equipment unless you're healthy--and I thought exercise equipment was designed so you could... oh never mind.) I know these successes are not of my own doing, but are evidences of the mercy and kindness of my dear Father in Heaven. I'll be eternally grateful; especially because I know the lessons and experiences I will have in the Holy Land will forever change my life and the way I can and will serve in the future. I'm at least smart enough that this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip that will immerse my soul in infusions of goodness and truth; more than I could get from any other source.

... and I can't believe it, but it gets even better! I checked my registration online (and everyone in college will just love this,) I was registered for 26 credits. For those of you who don't know, BYU has a maximum of 18 credits per semester allowed, so registration for 26 credits is quite impossible. It was pretty funny. It was because the J Center added all of the classes I'll be taking in Jerusalem (that they have to add, you can't register for them yourself,) and the BYU Provo classes I had originally signed up for hadn't been dropped. I quickly dropped everything I needed to-- and I noticed that the classes I will be taking at the Jerusalem center had my teachers listed--and I have the BEST teachers. I really do. And I already know them. Man, I've got it good. I met both of my teachers before I even left elementary school. ...and man, am I in trouble.

Victor Ludlow (teaching Old and New testament,) and David Seely (Ancient Near Eastern Studies) are considered the most difficult instructors in their field. Taking their classes in Provo would be hard enough. This is going to be killer. Ah well--this IS my major, and I do love the subject more than anything else in the world, and I'm going to be on such a high after learning their stuff that I just can't wait. Plus, their wives are coming too! Not to be rude or anything, but having Sister Ludlow and Sister Seely around is much more of a plus than it is to have their husbands around. They are SO smart, SO sweet, and I can't wait to be good friends with them.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!! Oh, yes. YES.

"Today has been my lucky day, I'm sure you all agree. If you could speak I know you'd say "how lucky can she be?" My heart is all aflutter! My poor head is in the sky--I know just how a butterfly feels to fly. Today has been my lucky day--my, oh my!"

I want to set off fireworks. And cannons. Maybe host a few air shows in celebration. And balloons. Definitely balloons. Perhaps a kazoo chorus.... some carnival games... ; )

No comments: