Tuesday, March 18

Augusta Victoria, My Heart

Dozens of churches of varied denominations scatter the Holy Land. Cavernous cathedrals, cozy chapels, traditional synagogues with the separate balcony for women, mixed seating synagogues, cramped mosques, spacious mosques, quiet places of wilderness, and any other sort of a place of worship you can figure. Most of these places are centered in concentrated clusters in the Old City of Jerusalem. For the purposes of this post, I will refer only to Christian churches.

After touring seven or eight chapels, including Church of the Holy Sepulcher and the Church of All Nations, it seemed to me that each "place of worship," had very little to do with praising and worshiping the Lord Jesus Christ. Rather, each seemed to be ornate encasements for shrines. Recognizing the dedication and sacrifice each of these places had required inspires a feeling of respect. They're beautiful! The details of a mosaic, the spectacular architecture is breathtaking. I could sit for hours in the large hall in Church of the Holy Sepulcher doing nothing but staring at the dome ceiling and the pillars. (Though, I'm not sure I recommend it. That's what I was doing when I caught a hard piece of pigeon poo in the eye.) Each place was lovely and a dedicated crew of religious folk kept it so, and looked after it. But church after church failed to remind me of the divinity of the Christ, or of his glorious sacrifice for each and every man woman and child who has or ever will live on this earth that we might live again.

I discovered for myself that "shrine," was often synonymous with "idol." Yes, it is spectacular to see a stone slab that may have been where Jesus was laid after his crucifixion, and such a place should be regarded as sacred and held in worthy awe. But does that mean that we should worship that rock? Or kiss it? I believe that every man should have the freedom to worship according to the dictates of their own conscience, and that every man will feel and show the evidences of their faith differently. For me no rock, location, or place could ever capture the spirit of that Christ without quiet reverence. And no place will convey to any man a knowledge that Jesus is the Christ. "Walking where Jesus walked," as the saying goes will not influence you in the slightest.

I have touched the waters of the Galilee. I have stood on the peak of Mt. Sinai. I have visited Mt. Tabor, traversed the length of Israel, and I have waded through the grasses of the Mount of Beatitudes. I have visited Nazareth, Capernaum, Tiberias, Bethany, Bethphage, and Nain. I learned much. I saw more than I expected to. And having been there, I can say with conviction that my testimony and knowledge that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world did not change an iota from the time before I had seen such places. It is not the place that testifies of Christ. It is the holy spirit that testifies of him. You need not visit to Jerusalem to know that for yourself. Read his words! Follow his teachings. Pray unto the Father in his name, asking whether or not he is who the scriptures have proclaimed him to be and you may know for yourself. Don't have to take my word for it. Excuse me. My heart suddenly overflowed and I wished to explain myself. I have however, yet again, digressed from the topic.

I couldn't understand why anyone thought that lighting candles to a golden image of Mary and the babe Jesus was worship at all. Where was the soul or the heartfelt love of God expressed in such an act? And could a written prayer or creed express your gratitude and praise for all He has done for you? For your family and for all mankind? For the world? Was this worship, kissing a rock?

The Church of Augusta Victoria, and the accompanying hospital adjoined to the same, stands east of the Old City on the Mount of Olives. There is a tower, an orchard of olive trees, and a large pipe organ inside. The interior is breathtaking and ornate. What makes it different from the other churches? To me it was the cleanliness and the focus of the architecture. No pillars or walls blackened by soot, and no shrines to kiss or cry at. Images of the Savior and his prophets were everywhere. Books of hymns could be found nearby, and there was a pulpit. The resonant acoustics certainly didn't offend me either. The "Augusta Victoria Tower," so easily seen from the city, was VERY tall, and VERY difficult to climb without becoming winded. So many stairs! And such a view from the top! Even while I knew the church had first been built to solidify a "german presence in the Holy Land," directed by the Kaiser, I still felt a spirit of worship and a focus on the Savior was the center of the building. It was peaceful. It was quiet. You felt lighter, and better after spending time there.

I visited Augusta Victoria three times, and still I itched to return. I would love to go there again someday.

Enjoy the photos. I took a few myself, but the others I found.








Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension in Augusta Victoria

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Rachel EM said...

What the heck? Why am I getting SPAM posts? What have I done to deserve this? CURSE YOU, AQUA SCUUUUUM!