Saturday, March 8

"The Sea of Sunset"


A friend took this--Kendra Crandall--and I had to share it. Why? For the simple reason that such a sight was typical of every sunset at the Jerusalem Center. (These windows are from the auditorium.) Every window in the building faces "full west," (a detail Lady Catherine DeBourg would surely notice,) and each night the last remaining embers of light would warm the city, bathing it in the glow. A molten setting sun touched clouds with fire, and for the first time in my life I learned the literal meaning of the phrase "tripped the light fantastic." The warmth would swell and stretch itself, as if holding for as long as it could until in a final flare it slipped beyond the horizon and was gone.

...And I know it's cheesy, but I once stood on the observatory deck in a sunset and recited tailored phrases from my favorite poem, "Ulysses," by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with gods.
The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;
The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs;
Come, my friends.
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
My purpose holds;
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.

No comments: