Thursday, April 17

Rachel's a Sweep

This winter semester I've been taking Bro. Ludlow's Isaiah class at BYU. It has a reputation for being...difficult. We had a project due--an 8 page outline of an Isaiah topic. We were told to be creative in our topic and to make it interesting. I have a genetic talent for writing, so it wasn't that difficult to be clear, concise, and to do it with the proper grammar. Besides which, it was an outline, and thus did not require intricate-formulated-paragraphs, so you'd think it would be easy schmeasy. But no. Not with Bro. Ludlow. It has to be perfect. Being familiar with his teaching style (having spent hours with him daily in Jerusalem,) I didn't spend too much time on it, thinking that I'd do okay. That's really all I was expecting.

I designed a lesson outline targeted for early-morning seminary students. I called it "discovering Isaiah through latter-day hymns," and I tried to show how much Isaiah is in hymns we sing frequently... just to show kids that they needent be afraid of Isaiah because they already know more of his verse than they think. I also attached a chart that I had made of every Isaiah hymn, with the theme of the doctrine, and the scripture reference along with it. (There are over forty, by the way.) I also mentioned how Janice Kapp Perry and Kenneth Cope quote Isaiah in their albums as well. Surprise, kids! Isaiah isn't that daunting.

Who knew? Like I said, I didn't spend that much time on it. In fact, I think it was short of the length requirement even. But guess what? I got a 96%. Ah ha! That's right, hail me--I got the second highest grade in all of his three sections. You can't tell, but I'm extremely smug about it. I totally swept the curve!

Too bad that the score I'll get on the final will drag my grade down so far that it won't do me any good. I'm taking it tomorrow morning. Holy-finals-of-doom, Batman!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for an A! I love sweeping the curve, even though I haven't had the pleasure of doing it myself in quite some time.

I'm sure you'll do okay on the final. You have a knack for those types of things. You've already taken it by now, so you'll have to let me know how far down it actually dragged your grade.

Jessica Newman said...

I just love you! you are "hilarious, you should host a talk show." (in english accent) can you guess what movie that is from??? :D

Rachel EM said...

Actually, Jay, I don't think I can. What is it?