Tuesday, April 8

Technical Space

Students are not allowed to go into the space underneath the Jerusalem Center, fondly known as "technical space." We were told in no uncertain terms to keep out. After begging the center's director, Eran, for months and months if we could see the technical space with supervison, like a lecture or a tour. He agreed to take us! I couldn't believe it. We got to see all of the wiring, plumbing, and water storage for the entire center, and also the 150 foot deep cement pillars that anchor the center deep into the heart of the mountain so that it is entirely earthquake proof. So exciting! Last Winter I worked on a research project with a professor of mine, Blair VanDyke, and with him I was privileged to research the beginnings and history of the Jerusalem Center. I knew all about how it was built. I couldn't wait for the opportunity to see TECHNICAL SPAAAAAACE. (Said in booming tones akin to Bill Nye announcing his whatchagigger popsicle stick-of-science.)

What surprised me most about about our tour is a) we had to wear hard hats, and b) that Eran let us write our names on the walls with chalk. I inscribed, "MILDENSTEIN-07," and drew a small white pillar to go with. :D Unfortunately, I did not have my camera at the time. But no matter--the walls bear testimony that I was there.


In this photo: The lovely Mikelle Laker.

No comments: