Monday, October 15

Saturday, October 6, 2007

The sixth of October was a Shabbat unlike any other. For one, it was General Conference day. For another, we only had one church block meeting—fast and testimony meeting. We sang of Zion in our hymns as we looked out over the old city. It was awfully poignant, and not at all subtle.

A good many students bore succinct, powerful testimonies. You know, the kind that are short and sweet but knock you over with spiritual power? Yes. Those. Another member, not a student here at the center, shared the story of his conversion to Mormonism from Judaism. He spoke of his conviction that Jesus is the Christ.

My eyes are sore after focusing on the speaker in the Auditorium during Sacrament meetings; the white-light shining and reflecting off all of the limestone is rather bright. I remained after the benediction to write in my journal. It was a relief after the meeting to rest my eyes on paper instead of the city, albeit with much less of a view. After a few minutes I glanced behind my own chair. I was astonished to find so many people there, all writing in journals or reveling in thought.

I wondered then what each of us will take away from this experience. I wondered what succulent truths we will glean from the exposure to a new people, to the gospel, and to a land steeped in the ages of time. What will touch us most? What has touched us? Who will we remember? What have we done to merit such rich blessings? …and I wondered what everyone else was thinking.

At dinner we made bets on who we thought would be assigned as second counselor in the first presidency of the church and who might be called as the new apostle. Later that night we all piled into the forum, anticipation and expectation refreshing our souls. It was quite an experience, realizing that we had gathered in Jerusalem to hear the words of the prophets. Years from now I expect we’ll look back and recall that night in the Holy City when we sat among friends for an occasion we could never repeat—a night drenched in revelation and living water.

We were only allowed to watch one session live before it was “off to bed.” The words “unable to stay, unwilling to leave” came to my mind as I climbed down the stairs to my room, and although I had wished to stay and listen for two more hours, I did not regret sleeping early when my head plopped to my pillow.

It had been a pleasant day. Truly a day unlike any other.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I hope you can get the Ensign next month. Conference was awesome!