Sunday, November 18

Bright Copper Kettles and Warm Woolen Mittens

Sunday, November 18th

I just finished the "Palestinian Perspective" Final. Death by essay questions, anyone? Who among you can tell me in 1200 words the geographical details of the West Bank/ Gaza Strip? You must include details of: climate, population across the last 4 decades, refugee camp population, location, and their origin, water resources, and oh yeah--the entire political history of the palestinian people and the neighboring arab/islamic states. don't forget that Turkey and Iran don't count as Arab states but that you still have to know about the political relations between them. Also don't forget who controlled the sinai peninsula during which year, how the golan heights became annexed from Syria, and whatever you do, remember how the British Mandate finally fell apart. Define the terms "closure," "PLC," and briefly explain the terms of the Clinton administration's mediation between Israeli's and Palestinians. Oh, and while you're at it, name two arab countries that overlook the indian ocean, five Arab states (and their capitals) in Africa, as well as five major deserts in the middle east. Name the mountain ranges found in Iran and Turkey. What influence did the "White Paper" have in Palestine? And can you tell me what changes were made to the Sykes Pecot agreement following WWI? Bonus: 1919 was known as the "year of optimism." Explain.

Oh yeah, and I have another final tomorrow that's even worse: Jewish History. Whee. So I'm not much in the mood to describe anything else. Here's something fun...or at least fun for me. It's a list of some of my favorite things from 2007.

Full Moon Ski-Lift Ride at Sundance Resort
The Pyramids
"Stardust" and "the Robe"...great movies.
"Moonlight" and "Twilight"...books and a TV show
Talks with Aaron and Diana this Feb/Mar
Blackberry Pie
Getting to the Jerusalem Center the first night
Watching Shooting stars over the sea of Galilee
Voice lessons from Kerilyn Johnson. (I MISS THOSE!)
Grocery shopping with my Mama
Augusta Victoria Church in Jerusalem
The telescope my mom found second-hand
Ken Burns' forum on BYU campus
Hanging with Matt and Heather
Good new soundtracks (the mission and tuck everlasting)
Walks in the snow at night
Spending my Birthday in SLC
My new friends at the Jerusalem Center
Wanda, my new puppy. "Mine" is a loose term...
Stargate SG-1 parties with my niece Aubria
New love for the restoration of the gospel
Spending a week in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
My Hebrew class
Visiting a Synagogue on Shabbat
Miraculously earning as much money as I did. Phew!
The whole day field trip I spent in Bethlehem
Medium cheddar cheese and wheat thins. Yum!
My first trans-Atlantic flight
Watching a sunrise from the top of Mt. Sinai
Practicing a Lithuanian Folk Dance Winter semester
Juggling 3 jobs, classes full-time, and a performance team
Israeli chocolate bars with pop rocks inside
Driving the tiny red convertible all summer
Watching Horatio Hornblower & Patton with my Daddy

Heh--I love reminiscing too. Can you tell? But now its time for dinner, and I am off to eating--the most festive part of the day. Mmmmm. I hope there's mashed potatoes.

Shalom! --R

1 comment:

Joni said...

You forgot to mention me on that list of things you like ;) I'm quite offended.

I love you, dearie :) I'm glad you're having so much fun!!