Wednesday, September 19

All in Good Taste








Today was our second cleaning check--which my room passed with flying colors again. It was also a "free" day--the first we've had. No classes, no schedule, no meetings. It was almost like a Saturday back home. No obligations. Just errands to run and homework to finish. A group of my friends (Rebecca, Amber, Jason, Archie, Brandon, Greg, and Caleb) and I went to the old city. We changed money for Egypt (where we're going next week... AAAAAAH! I'm so excited!) went to the Temple Mount, went to the church of the holy whatsit (I honestly can't remember the name,) scavenged for some food, and wandered around looking for stuff... passing through metal detectors and having our bags searched several times along the way. That might sound tedious, but I reminded people that even on an off day you still walk through a metal detector to get into the LDS Conference Center on Temple Square... and that the Israeli's that manage the inspections are very fast, so it isn't a trouble at all.

When we went out to eat we had to walk clear across town to the Jewish section OUT of the old city so no Muslims would see us eating during Ramadan. [Did you know that they're supposed to avoid even smelling food?] Wow. I only got a snapple... but I tried some of my friends falaffle. I think I liked it. Now THERE'S two words I don't use in a sentence very often. SNAPPLE. FALAFFLE. (here I am thinking tall-decaf-cappucino...hahahha)

Then we went back to the center. It was so hot and I was so sweaty that I went straight to my air-conditioned room and took a shower. Icky heat. I'm not going to like the temperature in Egypt much, lemme tell you. But I've promised myself that I won't complain about it for more than ten seconds. ...per day. ;)

Food here at the center is pretty good. Breakfast never changes: french toast, eggs, and cream of wheat, cereal, and juice. Brandon asked brother Ludlow if our breakfast was akin to the manna that the Israelites complained about--because it never changes and people are starting to get sick of it--even though a few of us are eating better than we ever have in a semester before. Our whole class laughed at that--very funny. As to the rest of food, Greg and I were lamenting the lack of pork in our diet. I suppose we can live with it. Pigs are unclean scavengers and all that Mosaic law stuff. *sigh*
I also miss triscuits, cheddar cheese, chips and salsa, garlic bread, cheerios, Costco spinach ravioli, my mother's cooking where everything tasted unreal it was so good, baby carrots, and broccoli. I have developed a fondness for bell peppers--I eat them every lunch and dinner because they're practically the only vegetables to be had... unless you count the coarse green beans that are dripping olive oil every time you spear one with your fork. At least I'm getting plenty to eat every day--that's a privilege few people in history have had. And I must say I am fond of two chocolate bars over here--there are strawberry filled chocolate bars (like cherry cordials, only strawberry) and the amazing-fantastic-holy cow-surprise pop-rocks chocolate bars.

THAT'S RIGHT. CHOCOLATE BARS WITH POP ROCKS INSIDE. You let the stuff melt in your mouth and the pop rock sensation continues. SO fun. And fairly tasty as well. Nothing on dark chocolate... but it's great nonetheless. And I like the rolls that the center serves and the quaint butter pats that come in super-accomodating packaging. Mmm. Rolls. Last night my favorite chef (of the two) made this scrumptious Turkey with a spice rub on the outside. It was fantastic. There were also sweet potatoes (mmm.) and rice with saffron. And lest you think I’m taking food for granted—ah no. I know how lucky I am. Besides that, last night’s dinner was a rarity—everything was so good I wanted more. That doesn’t happen very often here—but it did last night. (which was good, because at lunch there was only pasta in a sweet, pink sauce to be had. Not tasty.)

So yes, I’m doing well. Trying to keep up with my homework and still be social with new people and enjoy free time. …and I think I’m doing fairy well. Wish me luck with my Judaism reading—I have at least 150 pages to go! …and I’d better get started.

Shalom,

Rachel EM (Elizabeth Mildenstein)

P.S. There is a very Amish person here (for those of you who know my code words that I use...if you don't, please know that it's an extreme compliment). And I just wanted to alert the general public that it's VERY nice. Ahem. Yes.

P.P.S. We're going to a papyrus factory in Egypt where they make the Pearl of Great Price facsimiles just for Mormons! Schweet! (and if you don't know what those are then just ignore me...)

P.P.P.S: The pictures are as follows--
1. My favorite chair in the library... close to the Egyptian section
2. A small-group photo in the Orson Hyde Memorial Garden, dome of the rock visible behind.
3. A grainy photo of the Augusta Victoria church ceiling-mosaic.
4. A close-up of the German eagle inside Augusta V. IT makes a REALLY cool wallpaper for your computer if you're interested... great texture.
5. The snozberry bathroom stalls we had to pay a shekel to use
6. A roadside view of the natural Wilderness
7. A sunlight expose' of Nebi Samwil--tomb of the prophet Samuel.

1 comment:

Matt said...

GOOD JOB SNEAKING THE PICTURES INTO THE BLOG...LOVE YOU!