Saturday, September 8

Epiphany At The Western Wall

How do I feel being here? I can tell you what makes it so special to my heart. It isn’t what I thought it would be. Oh no. It isn’t the history. And it isn’t the sacred sites. Absalom’s tomb takes my breath away, the Orson Hyde memorial garden is quite something, walking on Jericho road is marvelous, and western wall was… a wall—a very old wall, but not holy or consecrated. I felt like an outsider—a tourist—a mere observer there yesterday at Friday’s sundown, the beginning of Sabbath. I should explain this experience from the top so you will better understand.
I left the center in a huddle of students. I walked down Jericho road, through the kidron valley and up to Mount Moriah. I walked along the Via Delarosa, past “King Faisal street,” the Austrian hospice, and the streets of the Old City… past St. Anne’s Cathedral, and over the great stones from the Roman occupation period (raised from 20ft below to the current street level). I walked under canopies and through the streets empty of street vendors when it had been so vibrant and bustling only a day before. Two men in full orthodox dress—long black satin coats and all pelted past us, running through the streets to be on time. I passed signs written in Hebrew/Arabic/English. I walked through metal detectors while my fanny pack was searched by Israeli soldiers. I loved it all. Then I walked into the temple complex. I was staring at the western wall. Crowds of men and their sons: very old and very young, curled locks, prayer shawls, head to toe in black robes or suits, hats of all sorts. Yamakas and great thick fur hats, they bring their culture with them through the ages—from Poland and Lithuania, Russia and Spain. They’ve come to their holiest of sites. I watched as with fervent reverence they stood silently, lips working fast in prayer. I loved it. I saw handfuls of tourists in varying degrees of modesty, watching with interest as I did. I saw a a crowd of young men across the square in white shirts holding hands, singing at the top of their lungs holding hands in a circle and dancing. Laughing with joy they formed a wall, stopped and sang in chorus. They moved in a wall, converging the space—singing with spirit and joy. I loved it. They moved into the men’s section of the wall’s partition, staying near the back, shouting, singing and dancing together in song. I watched a small bent woman back away from the wall, her eyes closed, her daughter as her guide so she would not run into anyone as she did not turn her back.
I moved among the women’s section, watching with wide eyes a display of devotion and reverence beyond compare. I walked among the women. When a space is filled with only women the atmosphere changes perceptibly. It was here too. A sense of knowing each other by association of sisterhood. I watched a girl no older than myself in chairs against the wall, head bowed, both hands pressed against the wall for more than fifteen minutes. She never moved. I loved her. I watched a European Jewish woman with a nose ring sway back and forth, book in hand, softly murmuring a song of prayer—a tune. I watched huddles of BYU girls observing the scene in varying shades of emotion.
I saw hundreds of slips of paper at the base of the wall, and scores of others tucked into crevices of stone. It was fascinating. I was very still inside, but so very alive, so aware. I didn’t want to intrude… I felt like I shouldn’t. Wouldn’t I offend them? But then I remembered, I’m an Israelite too. These are women, like me. And could I say years from now that I had stood two feet away but not touched the wall? When a woman in front of me moved I took her place at the wall, touching it, and—like her—pressing my fingers lightly to my lips. I backed away a few paces, turned around, and walked back to the center of the women’s enclosure. I stood with my hand over my heart, by other across my waist, in strong emotion. I felt an awe for these people. And while I recognized the wall as their holy ground… it was little more than a wall. I decided to pray.
My eyes open, I prayed in my mind, “Holy Father, bless these people. Bless their families and their children. Bless their land. Make it fruitful. Grant them peace. Bless them. Let them prosper. Help them.” And my heart began to swell in my breast as I thought, “let them know. Help them know the great things thou hast done for their fathers. Let them know of the covenants, that they might know thou hast always been there and hast not forsaken them. Let them know that Jesus is the Christ! Anointed one, savior and king! Let them know.”
I loved them.
Rivulets of tears flooded my face as I remembered the title page of the book of Mormon I had studied earlier that day. That the purpose of the book is to know “the great things done for their fathers,” “that they may know the covenants,” and that “they are not cast off forever,” knowing that the great God does know and care for them and always has. Further it is to the convincing of jew and gentile that JESUS IS THE CHRIST. I prayed for them; and I loved them. Filled with a love for these fine people—what I wanted most and more than all was for them to know! For them to know as I do.
I stood twenty feet from the western wall and was awash in appreciation and deep love for the restoration! All I could think of was those people and the book of Mormon. I so desperately want them to know! And as I thought these things my heart glowed in the assurance that they will know. Someday they will know. I thought more of Joseph Smith, the book of Mormon, and the treasure that I have. That we have!
I knew before I came that the greatest challenge of this trip would be as I came to love the people—to truly see them as my sisters and brothers and to pass them by! Unable to tell them my secret. Unwilling to disrupt their devotion, but with a heart full of emotion and despair. Oh, how can we do this? Mankind is our business! “How can I walk through crowds of my fellow beings with my eyes turned down?” How can I not share the glorious truths? It will break my heart! And yet, it is not their time. And it would cause more harm than good. Oh if I could but share with you my love and respect for these people! How they are and what they are and who they are and why they are. I have yet to know all, but I have seen enough. I love them.
The wall may have been little more than a wall, but now it is for me a symbol of the jewish faith and the hallmark memory of how I suddenly understood the purpose of the Book of Mormon. How I stood and watched and saw with new eyes the magnitude of the restoration. What it has done and what it can do. I loved it. I thought of the restored gospel from the first vision--Joseph Smith, and then of President Hinckley. I wanted to rejoice in the words, “I thank thee O God for a prophet!” To shout Hosanna to God and the Lamb! I thought of temples and modern revelation. I knew that God lives and directs this, his living church. I thought of what I am a part of, my privilege, and my blessing. I stood and bore testimony to a friend next to me of what I felt then in my heart. How I wanted them to know.
Things are as they are and will remain so until they are designed to change. Until then, I will continue to walk back home. Home to the center. Home to the world. I want to tell all I can. I want to shout it from the rooftops that all may know there is a God! Jesus Christ, the light of the world! And someday all will know. And we will all be united. Truly He has done great things for all the House of Israel.

And so now you see… it is not the sites. It is not the history. It is the people that have made this special and important. It is them that will draw me back and hold me here. It is love for them. Respect for them. Joy in them. Hope for them. Kinship with them. I love them. It hadn’t really hit me until then—but they have awakened me to a small understanding of why I am here. What I will do here. What has been done and what will be. And I can’t wait for more.


COMING SOON: a brief story on my flight over, the airport, and the arrival.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went "next-blogging" and found this latest post of yours. I was drawn to it because I am also Rachel and I was in Jerusalem 18 months ago. But as I read, I grew angrier and angrier at your audacity and condescention toward the Jews you encountered at the Western Wall. You want to share the Book of Mormon with them? Couldn't you understand that at the most holy of sites for them, you were being incredibly sacreligious, by presuming that you held the answer for them. I hate to break it to you, but they are not poor souls who don't know any better and are waiting for the answer, especially not from you. They believe in a faith that doesn't ask them to push their beliefs on other people; to be a Jew you have to earn it. It is not proclaimed upon them by some girl who intrudes into their oldest temple and wants to show them the way. Shame on you. Shame on you for missing the point and shame on you for your arrogance.

Heather said...

Dear "anonymous",

If you're going to post a rude and insulting comment on someone's blog, at least have the respect to not put yourself "anonymous". That is so weak and quite timid of you. If you don't like this blog, then don't read it.

The Cooks Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cooks Blog said...

Well...... little miss Rachel "anonymous" you obviously missed the whole point of this blog entry. Because as I read it, she was nothing but respectful of the religious beliefs of those at the Western Wall. Tell me, how is it sacrilegious to be thoughtful. She never referred to anyone as a "poor soul" but rather that she felt a certain kinship with them and marveled at their amazing faith. In her words she found these people to "be devoted and reverent beyond compare". Shame on you for anonymously, (cowardly) doing what you accused the author of this blog of doing....being condescending. We are all entitled to our own beliefs and being thoughtful and grateful for your own beliefs as your try to understand others is nothing short of amazing in a young girl of 20 years old. We could use a lot more of that in this world. She was not even close to being,as you put it, "a girl who intrudes and wants to push her beliefs on them". Read a little closer anonymous - I believe the whole point was that OUT OF RESPECT FOR THE JEWISH PEOPLE AND THEIR FAITH.....that this girl did not say a thing. She stood in awe. She has studied in depth the traditions and faith of these people and is merely amazed at the things she saw. Shame on your for assuming that you know everything and for making someone who is trying to expand their horizons feel as if they should be ashamed for exploring the world and learning about other people. Shame on you for missing the point and shame on you for your arrogance.

Anonymous said...

A desire to share something is quite different from the act of sharing. By law, strictly observed, there can be no proselytizing of any kind on the part of anyone enrolled at the BYU Jerusalem Center, even if someone asks you to share your beliefs. If this were the only reason for the author's restraint then perhaps there would be something to discuss concerning this particular matter.

Although "anonymous"-Rachel has taken offense where none was intended, we shouldn't infer from her statement that all Jews would be equally offended by the author's sentiment, though it is more than likely that some would be. There's no way to please all of the people all of the time.

Anonymous-Rachel does seem to have a chip on her shoulder, but who can say why other than anonymous-Rachel? Perhaps she just needed to vent her spleen a bit and the author was an easy mark.

One thing, though: I am not a Jew but I am reasonably certain that being a Jew isn't something earned. According to tradition, if your mother is Jewish, then you are a Jew. It's something more like winning the ethnic and/or genetic lottery. There are still those who convert to the Jewish faith as well, so in that sense it could be earned, but I can't see it otherwise requiring the successful passage of some test or quest.

Speaking of converting to the Jewish faith, or from it for that matter, both occur and are not necessarily rare events. Why should the author be maligned for the mere desire to share her faith when others are contentedly converting to or from Judaism? The author respectfully kept her thoughts and unexpressed desires to herself until she had the chance to write about them in this forum.

It's rather rude to presume to understand an individual's character or what motivates them from a few paragraphs, hastily written. Ascribing shame isn't a wise choice in such circumstances.

Heather said...

Rach, I love all of the STRONG EMOTIONS you've brought out in all of us...keep it up!

Rachel EM said...

Thank you all for reading. thank you for your opinions. Thank you to those who have written in my defense. To "anonymous," I wonder if you'll even read the replies to your comment--ever come back to read more of what I have to say.

I am sorry to have wounded you. I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read was not what I meant. From your comment I can see that you missed my meaning. As you read, furious and angry at my condesension and audacity, did you recognize my admiration and love for the people? I understand you do not know me, and so you could never know that Jewish History is one of my main points of study--by choice. You cannot know. How could you know? But you missed the other things that I wrote. I also said that I felt I was intruding on their reverence. I guess you missed that too.
It is the primary focus of my presence as a student here to show respect, and to increase in respect and love for people of all beliefs and backgrounds. I did not and would never force or push my beliefs on another. I would never ever be so rude as to assume that the jews want anything from me. I know they don't. They are a noble race and I admire them. My observations and feelings at the Wall were silent and personal. I also for certainty that I cannot convice you, but believe me:

I did not miss the point.

Rebeccah Mildenstein said...

WOW! So um good comments from everyone! I especially love Aaron's. I think that although when having a blog you risk sharing it with even the worst of opinions. "Anonymous" need to realize that this blog is for our family to see how Rachael is doing and listen to her experiences. So sadly the negative comment made just means that she is dealing with something in her life and I think that Rachel got a very good reaction from this "Anonymous." Even if the ground looks dry and barren a seed can be planted and grow. This "Anonymous" has a fire burning in her now and she seems fired up enough to chew on all the thing she read from Rachel. She will get something good from it I know that from personal experiance. So lets not critize her, lets embrace all the wonderful missionary work that has been done by Rachel just from this powerful experience. We love you Rachel and we love to hear from you! Love Bek

Anonymous said...

It seems that Rachel EM hit the nail on the head when she said "I(she) did not miss the point." There are many things individuals learn which come from personal experience only. And when those learning moments occur, the individual's desire is to share those moments with those who appreciate them. It is unfortunate that in this case she came across one who merely didn't understand.

There are also many things individuals learn through proxy. I for one am eager to learn vicariously through Rachel EM as she boldly shares her new-found wealth in this forum. Part of me is in awe of your opportunities, and the other part of me is jealous. Keep it up Rach!

Rachel Manwill said...

Okay so I will admit it. I was wrong.

This is "Anonymous" Rachel. I did come back and read both the post I commented on and a few before it. I missed the mark and I apologize. I had just had an argument with a friend about the legitimacy of religion and missionary work, and your blog hit a nerve that I was quite surprised got hit. I wanted to find a kinship in this post, because my name is Rachel and because I was just in Jersalem, but also because I am Jewish and because I was born and spent part of my life in Provo. I have family that are practicing Mormons, but have also experienced the feelings of being an outsider because I am not Mormon in a Mormon town. I'm sure you have felt similar alienation as a Mormon as well.

I took out my anger (and deep-seeded resentfulness) on you, Rachel, and I apologize. You are right that you did not miss the point. I did and I am sorry. After rereading your blog, I respect your decision to study those outside your own faith and for being silently irreverent at the Wall. I spoke/posted too soon, so please continue your studies and don't let a stupid, thoughtless girl ruin what I'm sure will be a beautiful experience. I loved Israel and I know you will too.

Be safe.

P.S. I felt incredibly guilty for posting anonymously for two days before I came back to your blog. Never again will I post anything without my name.

Anonymous said...

Rachel who-until-recently-was-anonymous,

I admire anyone who has the courage to come forward with such an admission. It's not easy and it's usually uncomfortable. Brava!

I'm sorry to hear you felt uncomfortable in Provo as a non-mormon. Not everyone in Provo behaves like that. Unfortunately your experience is probably par for the course. Those who take the opportunity to go outside of the United States and immerse themselves in another culture are more likely to befriend those who aren't a part of the majority. Rachel EM is doing that right now, and from the look of it, she is gaining perspective already.

Good luck in the future,

--buh

Rachel EM said...

Wow. Thanks, Rachel.